Countdown to the NKOTB Cruise 2011

Monday, November 24, 2008

NKOTB Therapy

There are many people in my life that don't understand this new "OBSESSION" I have with New Kids on the Block. Sometimes it is hard for me to understand but I think I have a way to explain it. Besides the obvious reasons, they are HOT, they made a great CD, they put on an AMAZING show and THEY ARE HOT!!! They have helped me cope with a rough year.

My step-mom, Kari, had been battling brain cancer for the past 13 years. For most of those years she was doing great. This past year her tumor came back very aggressively and she lost her fight on November 9th, 2008. Kari and I have never really had a typical mother-daughter relationship. In fact, before she got sick back in 1995 we didn't get along all that well. We did end up having a nice friendship. My dad and Kari had two girls, my sisters. They are now 16 and 13. I have been a big part of their lives and have always tried to be there for them. Now that they have lost their mother I will be stepping in to help my dad.

So what does this have to do with NKOTB you ask? Well, planning for the trip to Minnie, the anticipation of meeting them, the concert and the friends I met on the NKOTB site helped me cope with all that went on this year.

When things get to stressful and I need to escape for a while, I turn to "the guys." I look at videos, pictures and chat with friends. Having this in my life has been my therapy. I love that I have memories to look back on. I love that my best friend and I have SOOOOO much to talk about, other than our everyday lives. (kids, marriage, etc) I love that we can giggle together and know that we won't think the other is stupid for wanting to jump Donnie or Joe after seeing a pic or video. I love that I can listen to the music in my car because my kids love it.

I am sure I am not the only NKOTB fan that feels this way or that this reunion tour has helped them through a rough time. I hope that the guys know how much they have brought to my life. Sounds strange to a "non fan" but to us BLOCKHEADS we understand!!!

Love to you all!!

Vanessa

2 comments:

Janelle and Stacey said...

There is no better therapy than Jon therapy. ;) Okay Okay....there is no better therapy than NKOTB therapy are you happy....I didn't leave anyone out.

Janelle and Stacey said...

Vanessa--stacey's wrong, there's no better therapy than Donnie therapy..right?!

*Looks smug* Of course!!!

Cute updates, love the new look of the site!! Great job!

Janelle